Typhoons in Japan are just about the same as Hurricanes in the US, lots of wind, rain, general suspense for the impending storm.
My host mother got a call from the home-stay coordinator Tuesday evening saying that I had to return to JCMU dorms for a few days because of the storm. Sometimes during Typhoons the trains run late, and it would be difficult to bike in strong winds. I packed a few clothes and started my commute as usual Wednesday morning.
Wednesday evening I had Taiko practice with another JCMU student, so we geared up in our rain-jackets and rain-pants and got on our bikes and headed towards the cultural center about 15 minutes away. On the way there, we pass a few bars, all of which were packed with Japanese University students because their classes were canceled.
After about 2 hours at Taiko, we headed back in heavier rain with some strong wind gusts, but nothing serious. Stores had boarded up their windows, and most shops were closed, except for the bars. The bars were still hopping with students.
The strongest part of the Typhoon was set to hit Hikone at 3am. The wind was howling all night long, but I slept soundly. The next day in class we could still see heavy rain and the trees blowing in the wind, however everything was still standing and nothing had collapsed or flooded. On my way back to my home-stay I saw a few wind-swept trees and some signs had blown over, but nothing serious.
All-in-all my first Typhoon was a fun experience. Now, because of the Typhoon, we have superb weather and I got a good story.
Saturday, October 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment