During the morning commute I get somewhat sleepy, so earlier this week I decided to go to "Biwako Coffee" for a quick cup of coffee before class. I assumed that Biwako coffee would be like every other coffee shop I've been to, so I walked up to the register and waited for somone to take my order.
While I was standing there I realized that the store looked kind of odd, there was no Starbucks-style menu behind the register, and I couldn't find the prices of coffee anywhere. It wasn't until the cook behind his grill motioned for me to sit down at a table that I realized this wasn't an every-day coffee shop for people on-the-go.
With about 20 minutes until my class started, I didn't have time to take a leasuirely breakfast. The waiter came up and seemed very excited to have an American in his resturant... I tried to explain that I just wanted coffee, but he motioned quite passionatly to the "Full-service breakfast", so for the sake simplicity I just ordered toast and coffee and counted the minutes as they passed.
With about 10 minutes until my class, the waiter brought not only my toast and coffee, but also a salad and hard-boiled egg. "Crap!" I thought, "I don't have time for this". I must've looked absolutely absurd trying to down my food (maybe thats where other countries get their image of fat Americans), and make it to class on-time.
5 minutes to go, I finished, practically ran to the cashier, paid, stammered my thanks and ran out the door. I made it to JCMU with a few minutes left; out of breath, but quite satisfied.
Saturday, October 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment